- Heat oil in large skillet or saucepan and cook sausage (medium heat) until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Spoon off all but about 1 tablespoon of fat and add onion and garlic. Cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- While onions cook, rinse kale, strip greens from center stems and chop coarsely.
- Add water, wine, black pepper and cayenne pepper to the skillet; stir in.
- Add potatoes and kale, stirring occasionally as the kale wilts. Cover and adjust heat to maintain a simmer.
- Cook until potatoes and kale are tender, 15 - 20 minutes ( may take longer if potatoes are large or kale is old). Taste for seasoning; add salt if necessary.
- Serve hot.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: large skillet or saucepan
Serving Size: 2 cups
|-||1 tablespoon olive oil|
|-||1 pound spicy smoked sausage, such as kielbasa, Polish, andouille, etc; sliced|
|-||1 onion, chopped|
|-||2 cloves garlic, or more to taste, chopped|
|-||1 pound kale|
|-||1 cup water or broth|
|-||1/2 cup red wine (substitute water or broth)|
|-||1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|-||1 pinch cayenne pepper|
|-||1 pound potatoes, cut into 1 to 1 1/2|
|-|| salt if needed|