- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- If using raw chicken breast, add to butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, turning once until lightly browned, approximately 10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- If using leftover chicken, skip the previous steps.
- To the skillet add the onion, carrots and mushrooms.
- Stir and cook until slightly tender. (Approximately 5 minutes)
- Add 2 cups of stock, thyme, rosemary and parsley.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and place the chicken back into the skillet.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter on medium high heat, whisk in flour to combine, then slowly add in 2 cups of chicken stock, whisking continuously, adding more liquid as the sauce thickens until all is used.
- Add this roux to the chicken and vegetable mixture.
- Transfer to the soufflé or baking dish.
- Allow to cool completely before putting on the crust.
- This filling can be prepared a day ahead, cooled and covered in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Roll out pie crust to a 12 inch circle or 1 inch larger than your baking dish.
- You can use pastry scraps to make cut outs to decorate the top of the pie if you desire.
- Beat egg and milk and brush around the edge of the baking dish.
- Top with the crust and press the pastry, crimping the edges, around the dish.
- Brush lightly all over with the egg mixutre.
- If using, place decorations on top and brush with egg mixture.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 2-3 slits 1/2 inch long in the center of the pie for the stem to escape.
- Bake until the top of the pie is golden brown (40-45 minutes).
- Serve immediately.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: large skillet, 2 quart round casserole or soufflé dish
|-||6 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|-||3 pounds leftover chicken or raw boneless chicken breast - cut into bite sized pieces|
|-||1 teaspoon salt|
|-|| fresh ground pepper to taste|
|-||1 tablespoon fresh thyme - chopped|
|-||1 tablespoon fresh rosemary - chopped|
|-||1 onion - diced|
|-||2 medium carrots - peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds|
|-||2 cups mushrooms - sliced|
|-||4 cups chicken stock - homemade or canned|
|-||2 tablespoons fresh parsely - chopped|
|-||1/4 cup flour|
|-||1 large egg|
|-||1 tablespoon water|
|-||1 frozen pie crust - thawed or can use homemade|