- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Melt butter or margarine in large skillet on medium-low heat, add onion rings. Cook for 20 minutes or until tender but not browned. Add the zucchini and yellow squash, cook, covered for 10 minutes (just until tender).
- Add salt, pepper, lemon pepper and nutmeg. Cook uncovered 5 more minutes. Sprinkle flour over top, add hot milk and stir to combine; until sauce thickens (3 to 4 minutes). Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Combine the bread crumbs and cheeses, sprinkle over the top of the squash mixture.
- Dot with 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into small bits.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: cup
|-||6 tablespoons butter or margarine - plus 2 tablespoons for topping|
|-||3 medium onions, sliced into thin rings|
|-||2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4|
|-||2 medium yellow squash, sliced into 1/4|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-||1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning|
|-||1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|-||2 tablespoons flour|
|-||2 cups hot milk|
|-||1 cup Italian bread crumbs|
|-||1/4 cup grated swiss cheese|
|-||4 ounces smoked black pepper white cheddar cheese, shredded|