- Place water in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle yeast on top and whisk in the honey until everything is dissolved.
- Use a whisk to stir in the salt and flour.
- When too thick to mix with the whisk, mix with floured hands.
- Knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes.
- Shape into a smooth ball and place back in the bowl.
- Brush with a little olive oil and cover the bowl with a towel.
- Set the bowl in a warm place for 1-2 hours so the dough can rise.
- The dough should double in size.
- You can make the filling for these while the dough rises.
- The dough may be made in advance and refrigerated or frozen until ready to use.
- Allow it to come to room temperature before using and knead a few times to warm it up.
- Punch down the risen dough.
- Divide it into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out the dough one at a time on a floured surface into a 6-8 inch circle.
- Preheat oven to 450Â° F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
- Spoon a couple teaspoonfuls of marinara sauce on half of the circle of dough, leaving 1/2 inch rim around the edge of the dough.
- Place four pepperoni slices on top of the marinara. Can use more if you like.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Moisten the outside rim of the dough with water using your finger or a small pastry brush.
- Fold the dough over the top of the filling and crimp the edges. This will make a half moon shape.
- Go around the edges with the tines of a fork to seal.
- Prick the top of the calzone with a fork to let the steam escape while baking.
- Arrange assembled calzones on the baking sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Brush the tops with butter or oil during the last five minutes of baking.
- Serve warm.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Container: baking sheet, large skillet, large bowl
|-|| CALZONE DOUGH:|
|-||1 cup warm water|
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast - regular or fast acting|
|-||1 tablespoon honey |
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons salt |
|-||2 1/2 cups flour |
|-||1 teaspoon olive oil - to brush on dough|
|-||1 cup marinara sauce - purchased or home made|
|-||24 slices pepperoni - more if desired|
|-||2 cups mozzarella cheese - shredded|