- Tear bread into 1/4 inch cubes and allow them to dry completely before using. Let them air dry overnight or place them in a 225°F oven until they are completely dry. Stir occasionally and do not allow cubes to brown. French or Italian bread are good breads to use.
- Butter the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish or equivalent size bakeware.
- Melt the 3/4 c. of butter in a skillet and add the dried cubes in after the butter is hot. Toss the bread cubes in the melted butter and cook over medium low heat until the cubes are lightly browned.
- Remove the cubes from the skillet and allow them to cool completely.
- Place 1/3 of browned bread cubes in the bottom of the buttered baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix the sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon rind, and lemon juice together to distribute ingredients evenly.
- Pour 1/2 of the apple mixture over the layer of bread cubes in the baking dish.
- Repeat with a layer of 1/2 of the remaining bread cubes over the apple mixture.
- Then layer the remaining half of the apple mixture over that layer of bread.
- Add the remaining bread cubes as the top layer. Add the hot water to the dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake in an oven preheated to 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes. The apples should be tender and the bread browned when it is done.
- Serve while warm. Top with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
|Prep Time: 1.5 hours|
Cook Time: 1 hour
Container: 2 quart baking dish
|-||3/4 cup melted butter|
|-||5 cups 1/4" cubed breadcrumbs, lightly packed|
|-||7 cups sliced apples, semi-firm apples (can use 2 varieties, if desired)|
|-||3/4 cup brown sugar|
|-||1 teaspoon cinnamon|
|-||1/8 teaspoon nutmeg|
|-|| Grated rind from 1/2 lemon|
|-||2 tablespoons lemon juice|
|-||1/2 cup water, scant|