- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the skins and pit from the peaches and cut into slices.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all the peaches, combine the 3/4 c. of sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Add the peaches and lemon juice and then stir the entire mixture until the peaches are evenly coated.
- Cook the peaches over medium heat, stirring continually. Cook until the mixture boils and then continue to boil for 1 minute.
- Pour the peaches into a 9" square or 8" x 10" rectangle baking dish. Keep the peaches hot by placing in the oven until the topping is ready.
- Mix the topping by combining the flour, 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and stir thoroughly with a fork. Cut the shortening until the mixture is in fine crumbs.
- Pour in the milk and stir until all the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Add the topping to the hot peaches by dropping spoonfuls evenly over them. There should be enough topping for 8 to 10 large spoonfuls.
- Place the cobbler back in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- When the cobbler is done, serve it warm. It can be eaten on its own or served with ice cream.
|Prep Time: 1 hour|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: 9" square or 8" x 10" baking dish
|-|| PEACH FILLING:|
|-||6 cups fresh sliced peaches|
|-||3/4 cup sugar|
|-||1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch|
|-||1/2 teaspoon cinnamon|
|-||1 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice|
|-||1 1/3 cups flour|
|-||1 1/2 tablespoons sugar|
|-||2 teaspoons baking powder|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|-||1/4 cup shortening|
|-||2/3 cup milk|