- If possible, prepare this recipe in a Tagine baking dish to achieve a very moist and tender result. However, an oven safe Dutch oven or covered baking dish such as a casserole dish can be substituted instead of a Tagine. If used on stovetop burner, make sure it will safely withstand the heat.
- Using a 2 or 3 quart sauce pan, place 3 cups of water in the pan to blanche the artichokes. Heat water to boiling and allow artichokes to blanche until they are floating which will require approximately 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven at 400°F.
- Zest lemon rind and set aside.
- Place butter and oil into a sauce pan and heat over medium heat on a stovetop burner.
- Season chicken with paprika, ginger, pepper, Raz el Hanout, and place chicken into the oil and butter to saute the seasoned meat. Allow the ingredients to cook for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring the food occasionally so the chicken becomes coated with oil, butter and spices. Lightly sprinkle Raz el Hanout seasoning over chicken.
Note: Raz el Hanout is a seasoning which is avaiable in some food stores but most often in stores selling foods from India.
- Combine onion, broth, and saffron with other ingredients.
- Tie sprigs of parsley and cilantro together with an oven proof cotton string and place on top of all other ingredients in tagine or baking dish.
- Place tagine or baking dish in oven and cover with lid. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until chicken becomes tender.
- When finished cooking for almost an hour, remove tagine or baking dish so chicken can be placed into another oven safe baking dish for warming. Reduce oven temperature to 200°F for warming.
- Remove and discard sprigs of tied parsley and cilantro that were placed in the original baking dish.
- The tagine, Dutch oven, or similar oven and stove top safe baking dish now contains the juices which will become a sauce to use as a topping for the chicken and artichoke hearts.
- Place pan on stovetop burner and simmer on medium heat setting. Add lemon juice and artichoke hearts, stirring lightly so canned artichokes which are most likely pre-cooked will warm throughout. Add lemon zest while stirring. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes to prepare as a sauce.
- Lower oven temperature to 200°F and place baking dish with chicken back in oven to keep it warm.
- When ready to serve, arrange chicken in center of a serving platter with artichokes arranged around chicken. Drizzle sauce over the top of chicken and other ingredients.
- If desired, garnish with fresh cilantro and parsley leaves.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
Container: Sauce pan and a Tagine or an oven safe Dutch oven or casserole baking dish
Serving Size: 1 each
|-||2 tablespoons butter|
|-||2 tablespoons olive oil|
|-||2 teaspoons paprika|
|-||1 pinch black pepper, ground|
|-||2 pounds chicken breasts|
|-||1 onion, diced|
|-||1 cup chicken broth|
|-||8 pieces saffron, toast and crush threads|
|-||10 sprigs fresh parsley|
|-||20 sprigs fresh cilantro|
|-||1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice|
|-||1 tablespoon fresh lemon rind, zested|
|-||28 ounces 2 cans of small canned artichoke hearts, drained|
|-|| fresh cilantro and/or parsley for garnish|
|-||2 teaspoons Raz el hanout seasoning|