- Preheat oven to 180° F.
- In a large mixer bowl, whisk the egg whites with salt and sugar.
- Whip until shiney and stiff.
- Remove bowl, sift in cornstarch.
- Add vinegar and vanilla.
- Fold all together.
- Spread out into a 9 inch circle on a silpat or parchement paper on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Then shut the oven off and allow it to sit for one hour - do not open the oven door during this time.
- Meahwhile, place raspberries, water, sugar and raspberry jam in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then turn back the heat to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- It will cool down but still have some chunks of raspberry in it.
- You may place the mixture in the food processor and blend until smooth or leave it as is with a slight chunky texture.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the 1/2 cup raspberries, strawberries and blueberries.
- Add 1/2 cup of the raspberry sauce and stir to combine.
- Whip heavy cream in a mixer bowl along with the sugar and vanilla.
- Whip on high for 3-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the cooled meringue.
- Top with the fresh berry mixture.
- Pour reserved sauce over all, allowing the juices to run down the sides.
- Garnish with lemon zest and serve immediately.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 2 hours
Container: baking sheet, large mixer with bowl
|-||4 egg whites at room temperature|
|-||1 pinch salt|
|-||1 cup sugar|
|-||2 teaspoons cornstarch|
|-||1 teaspoon white wine vinegar|
|-||1/2 teaspoon vanilla|
|-|| BERRY SAUCE:|
|-||1/2 pint fresh raspberries|
|-||1/4 cup sugar|
|-||1/4 cup water|
|-||10 ounces raspberry jam or jelly|
|-||1 lemon - grated zest|
|-|| BERRY MIXTURE:|
|-||1/2 pint raspberries|
|-||1 pint strawberries - hulled and halved|
|-||1 pint blueberries|
|-|| WHIPPED CREAM:|
|-||1 cup heavy cream|
|-||1 tablespoon sugar|
|-||1 teaspoon vanilla|