- Trim any excess fat from the meat.
- Mix salt, pepper, flour, and paprika if using.Pat or rub this mixture into the surface of the meat.
- Heat oil in a skillet large enough to hold meat in a single layer and brown steak 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Add the onions, tucking them under and around the meat. Cook another 5 minutes, until onions begin to soften.
- Mix the tomato paste with a little of the wine, add the rest of the wine and the herbs and pour over the meat and onions.
- Cover pan (use foil if skillet doesn't have a lid), adjust heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until meat is tender. Allow an hour or more - the actual time will depend on the cut and thickness of the meat.
- Taste sauce for seasoning; correct if necessary. Serve hot, with sauce spooned over meat.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
Container: large skillet with lid
|-||1 pound round steak, whole or in serving pieces|
|-||2 tablespoons oil|
|-||1 teaspoon salt|
|-||1/2 teaspoon pepper|
|-||1 tablespoon flour|
|-||1 teaspoon paprika (optional)|
|-||2 large onions, thinly sliced|
|-||1 tablespoon tomato paste|
|-||1 cup dry wine (substitute water)|
|-||1 tablespoon chopped fresh herb (oregano, savory, thyme, etc ) or 1 teaspoon dried|