- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Using cooking oil or a baking spray, grease the bottom and lower sides of 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Using a large bowl, begin making crumb crust and topping by combining the cake mix, butter, and egg. Mix all of the ingredients thoroughly until the crumb mixture becomes granular in texture.
- Crush the crackers finely with a food processor or place the crackers in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Add the cracker crumbs into the crumb mixture.
- Remove 2 cups of the crumb mixture and reserve for the crumb topping; use the remainder for the crust, which is spread over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place the baking dish containing the crumb crust in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Zest 1 lemon.
- Using a small mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, milk, fresh lemon juice, and the lemon zest. Mix the ingredients well using a whisk or an electric beater.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the baked crust and sprinkle the reserved 2 cups of crumb topping over the lemon mixture.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes until the crumb topping is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bars to cool for 1 to 2 hours; then slice into squares, cover the bars with foil or plastic wrap, and refrigerate prior to serving.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: 9 x 13 inch baking dish, a large mixing bowl, and a small mixing bowl
Serving Size: 1 piece
|-||18 1/4 ounces package of lemon or yellow cake mix|
|-||1/2 cup cold butter|
|-||1 large egg|
|-||2 cups saltine crackers, crushed (about 80 squares)|
|-||3 egg yolks|
|-||14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (1 can)|
|-||1/2 cup juice of 2 lemons|
|-|| zest of 1 lemon|