- Bring pineapple juice to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolk and sugar.
- Add this mixture slowly into the boiling juice. Whisk continuously until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and salt.
- Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Heat oven to 350Â°.
- Grease two 9 inch cake pans and dust with flour.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, all spice, ginger and salt together, set aside.
- In a food processor, process the carrots and then remove to a small bowl.
- Next process the coconut with granulated sugar until the coconut is finely chopped.
- Add brown sugar, eggs and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- With the processor running, slowly pour in the oil and process until combined.
- Pour mixture in with flour and add the shredded carrots and 1/2 the pineapple curd. Mix until combined.
- Pour this batter into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a tootpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow them to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to completely cool.
- Meanwhile, beat butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until fluffy.
- Add cream cheese, one cube at a time, until all are incorporated.
- Beat in the remaining pineapple curd.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the cakes are cooled, spread 1 cup of frosting onto one cake.
- Place the second cake on top and spread the rest of the frosting on top and sides of the cakes.
- Sprinkle the entire cake with toasted coconut and press it in gently.
- May garnish the top with pineapple tidbits if desired.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Container: two 9-inch round cake pans, food processor, medium mixing bowl, sauce pan
|-|| PINEAPPLE CURD:|
|-||1/4 cup pineapple juice|
|-||1 egg yolk|
|-||1/2 cup sugar|
|-||2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|-||1 pinch salt|
|-||2 1/2 cups flour|
|-||1 tablespoon baking powder|
|-||1 tablespoon allspice|
|-||1 teaspoon ground ginger|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|-||3/4 pound carrots, about 2 1/2 cups of baby carrots or 6 medium regular carrots|
|-||1 cup sweetened shredded coconut|
|-||1 1/4 cups granulated sugar|
|-||1/2 cup brown sugar|
|-||4 large eggs|
|-||1 1/2 cups vegetable oil|
|-|| CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:|
|-||12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)|
|-||3 cups confectioners sugar|
|-||16 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed (2 pkgs)|
|-||3 cups sweetened shredded coconut - toasted|