- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy skillet. Salt and pepper the pork cubes and brown, stirring once or twice to turn, for about 5 minutes.
- Set browned cubes aside, add 1 tablespoon oil to the browning pan, add onions to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 - 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir in.
- Add wine or water and stir to get any browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add oregano, chilies and tomatillos. Mix in and adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook until pork is tender, about 30 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Sprinkle cilantro over, if using. Serve with salsa, warm tortillas and/or beans or rice.
|Prep Time: 25 minutes|
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Container: Heavy large skillet
|-||2 tablespoons olive or other oil, divided|
|-||1/2 pound pork, in small (1/2|
|-||1 teaspoon salt|
|-||1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper|
|-||1 onion, chopped|
|-||4 cloves garlic, chopped|
|-||2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried, crumbled|
|-||1 teaspoon ground cumon|
|-||1 can green chilies, about 8 oz.|
|-||8 ounces fresh tomatillos, chopped, or use canned|
|-||1 cup white wine or water|
|-||2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, for topping (optional)|