- Heat grill to medium.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, parmesan cheese and mustard.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon garlic and set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar and 2 teaspoons of garlic.
- Brush oil mixture over both sides of the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the gill side of the mushrooms down on the grill for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn and grill another 3-5 minutes more.
- Reduce the grill heat to low.
- Turn mushrooms so the caps are up and top each with cheese.
- Place cut rolls, cut side down, on the grill.
- Close the grill and cook until the rolls are crisp and the cheese has melted on the mushrooms, approximately 5 minutes.
- Place the bottoms of the rolls on a platter, top each with a mushroom.
- Place a few leaves of basil on top of the mushrooms, then a slice of tomato, then a slice of red pepper.
- Spread mayo mixture on the top half of the roll and cap the sandwiches.
- Serve warm.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Container: grill, two small mixing bowls
|-||1/4 cup mayonnaise|
|-||1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese|
|-||3 teaspoons garlic - minced|
|-||2 teaspoons Dijon mustard |
|-||4 sandwich rolls - sliced in half|
|-||1/4 cup olive oil|
|-||2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar|
|-||4 large portobello mushrooms - stems and gills removed and caps wiped clean.|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-||4 slices provolone or fresh mozzarella cheese - sliced|
|-||1/2 cup basil leaves|
|-||1 tomato - sliced|
|-||1 red pepper - grilled, seeded, skinned and cut into quarters|