- In a large bowl, combine all the bread ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients together using an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Use rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl while mixing to make sure that the ingredients are well blended.
- Once the ingredients are well blended pour the batter into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes.
- The bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- After removing the bread from the oven, prepare a glaze by following the instructions below.
- Combine all the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and stir until well blended.
- Pour the sauce over the bread while it is still warm.
- Allow the bread to cool for 15 minutes and then run a knife around the edges of the loaf pan to loosen the bread from the pan.
- Place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- When cooled, slice and serve.
|Prep Time: 1 hour|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Serving Size: 1 slice
|-||1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour|
|-||1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar|
|-||1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons half & half (or whole milk)|
|-||1/2 cup softened butter|
|-||2 large eggs|
|-||1 teaspoon baking powder|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|-||2 tablespoons poppy seeds|
|-|| Grated rind of 2 lemons|
|-||1/4 cup sugar|
|-||2 tablespoons butter, melted|
|-||1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice|