- Fry bacon until golden brown, cut into pieces and set aside.
- Grease the 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Remove crusts from bread and cut each slice into 2 strips.
- Mix together herbs and scallions in a small bowl.
- Combine the grated cheeses together in another small bowl.
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with a layer of bread slices, season with salt and pepper and scatter half the herb mixture over the top of the bread slices.
- Sprinkle half the cheese mixture over the herbs, then half of the tomato and half of the bacon.
- Repeat these layers, then finish with a layer of bread slices.
- There should be approximately 1/2" below the rim of the dish.
- Beat eggs with milk and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the bread.
- Sprinkle with extra cheese and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in refrigerator and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.
- To cook, preheat oven to 350Â°, bake 1 1/2 hours or until mixture has risen 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" above rim and is golden.
- Check for doneness by inserting a knife tip into the center. It should come out clean.
- Serve hot from the oven.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: 9 x 13 pan - 2 inches deep
|-||8 slices bacon - fried|
|-|| Butter to grease dish|
|-|| 8-10 slices thick white bread|
|-||3 scallions - chopped|
|-||3 tablespoons fresh parsley - chopped|
|-||1 tablespoon fresh tarragon - snipped|
|-||1/2 cup grated swiss cheese, more to sprinkle on top if desired|
|-||1/2 cup grated colby jack cheese, more to sprinkle on top if desired|
|-|| Salt and pepper|
|-||1 tomato - chopped|
|-||3 1/2 cups milk|