- Blanch asparagus pieces in a pot of boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Rinse under cold water and drain well. Set aside.
- Have 5 cups of warmed chicken broth ready.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add rice and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add wine, if using, and cook until the liquid evaporates, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, 1 cup at a time, letting most of the liquid absorb before adding the next cup.
- Keed adding the broth until the rice is tender but still slightly firm in the middle and the mixture is creamy.
- Stir frequently during this process, it will take approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Add asparagus and mix to combine.
- Shut off heat and add butter, stir until melted.
- Stir in grated cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: large skillet, saucepan
|-||1 cup risotto|
|-||1/2 cup basmati and wild rice|
|-||1 bunch asparagus - trimmed, cut into 2 inch pieces|
|-||5 cups chicken broth - either canned or cubes dissolved in water|
|-||2 tablespoons olive oil|
|-||1/2 cup onion - chopped|
|-||1/2 cup dry white wine - optional|
|-||1 stick butter|
|-||3/4 cup parmesan, asiago or romano cheese - grated|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|