- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly spray or grease the bottom and sides of a springform pan.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, onion, cumin and red pepper flakes, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until onion has softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Add hamburger and garlic, crumble hamburger as it cooks until no longer pink.
- Add corn, spinach, diced tomatoes and garbonzo beans (chickpeas).
- Stir and cook until spinach has wilted, approximately 2 minutes.
- Place 1 tortilla in the bottom of the springform pan.
- Spread approximately 1 1/2 cup of the beef mixture evenly on top.
- Then sprinkle on 1/2 cup cheese.
- Repeat with 2 more layers and top with the last tortilla.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Set springform pan on a baking sheet or on top of foil to catch any drippings while being baked.
- Bake pie until slightly browned, 15-20 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan and remove the sides.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Using 2 wide spatulas, lift the pie from the bottom of the pan and transfer it to a serving platter or cutting board.
- Cut into wedges.
- Serve with cilantro, sour cream, and salsa if desired.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Container: 9 inch springform pan, skillet, baking sheet or foil
|-||4 flour tortillas (10-inch)|
|-||1 tablespoon olive oil|
|-||1 medium onion - chopped|
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin|
|-||1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-||2 tablespoons tomato paste|
|-||1 pound ground beef|
|-||3 cloves garlic - minced|
|-||1 package (10 oz.) frozen corn kernels|
|-||1 (10 oz.) can of tomatoes with green chiles - drained|
|-||1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) - drained|
|-||3 cups loosely packed spinach - torn into pieces|
|-||2 cups Monterey Jack cheese or Colby cheese - shredded|
|-|| fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)|
|-|| sour cream (optional)|
|-|| favorite salsa (optional)|