- Combine all ingredients (except oil, cheese and dressing) in a mixing bowl.
- Cover and chill the batter for at least 15 minutes but can be left overnight if needed.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or skillet to 350°.
- Use tablespoons or a small scoop to measure batter and form into balls.
- May want to flour your hands as the batter is sticky.
- Stuff a cheese cube into the center of the batter ball, make sure it is completely enclosed.
- Fry in oil in batches, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Let it get nice and golden brown so the inside cooks and the cheese melts a little.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve with dressing for dipping.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Container: deep fat fryer or deep saucepan, mixing bowl
|-||1 cup cooked corned beef, can use deli corned beef if desired|
|-||1 cup rye bread crumbs|
|-||1/2 cup bavarian or regular sauerkraut - squeezed out, reserve the juice|
|-||1/2 cup dill pickle - diced|
|-||1/2 cup milk|
|-||1/3 cup flour|
|-||1/4 cup cornmeal - any type|
|-||1/4 cup green onion - thinly sliced|
|-||2 tablespoons sauerkraut juice|
|-||2 teaspoons baking powder|
|-||2 teaspoons dry mustard|
|-||1/2 teaspoon kosher salt|
|-||1/2 teaspoon sugar|
|-||1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|-||1/4 teaspoon baking soda|
|-||1 block of swiss cheese - cut into 15, 1/2 inch chunks|
|-||2 cups vegetable oil|
|-|| thousand island dressing for dipping|