- Trim any large areas of fat from the meat and salt and pepper lightly. In a heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil and brown lamb (if using already cooked lamb, skip this step). Remove lamb and set aside. Remove all but 2 - 3 tablespoons fat from the pan. If less than 2 tablespoons remains, add more olive oil.
- Add onions, garlic, rice, salt, turmeric, cumin, ginger, paprika and cinnamon to pan in which meat was browned and cook, stirring, for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add wine, water, and lamb. Stir to mix well.
- Cover tightly and adjust heat to maintain a simmer (if using oven instead of stovetop, bake at 375) for about 45 minutes.
- Add olives and lemon, if using, and check to make sure there is still some moisture. Cook another 15 minutes, or until lamb and rice are both tender.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
Container: heavy pot with lid
|-||1 pound lamb, cubed (3/4 - 1 inch cubes)|
|-||2 tablespoons olive oil|
|-||2 onions, sliced or chopped|
|-||4 cloves garlic, or to taste|
|-||1 cup long grain rice, preferably brown|
|-||1 teaspoon salt, (in addition to salt and pepper for uncooked lamb cubes)|
|-||1 teaspoon turmeric|
|-||1 teaspoon cumin|
|-||1 teaspoon ginger|
|-||1 teaspoon paprika|
|-||1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or allspice|
|-||1 cup dry wine|
|-||1 1/2 cups water|
|-||6 kalamata or other flavorful olives, coarsely chopped|
|-||1 tablespoon chopped preserved lemon (optional, but tasty)|