- Peel potatoes and shred using a food processor or a box grater. Hand or machine grate potatoes into strips similar to hash browns. If hand grating, grate the potato lengthwise for best results.
- Place strips of potatoes into water to wash off excess starch. When finished washing, place shredded potatoes into a dish towel or cloth. Wrap tightly and wring or squeeze out excess water, making sure to remove as much as possible so cooking results are not affected by the excess moisture.
- Crack egg into mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add potatoes, ground pepper and salt, mixing all ingredients together well.
- On stovetop, add 2 tablespoons of oil to a 10 inch non-stick skillet to be warmed on medium heat setting.
- Add potato mixture to the 10 inch non-stick skillet, using a spatula to level the potatoes evenly across the pan. Since the potato mixture does not firm up after cooking only one side, the non-stick skillet will assist with the ease of turning the Roesti over when the first side if finished cooking. Cover pan and cook over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown on bottom surface of potatoes. Remove cover and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Coat flat baking sheet with oil or cooking spray.
- Remove skillet from stovetop. Using protective mitts or hotpads, place a flat baking sheet over the skillet. Hold baking sheet against skillet and turn skillet over so Roesti drops out of skillet onto baking sheet.
- Remove bits of potato from skillet and place it back onto burner, adding remaining 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Slide Roesti potato cake off baking sheet and into skillet, allowing uncooked surface to begin cooking.
- Cook second side in uncovered skillet for 6 to 8 minutes, until golden brown. When finished cooking, tilt skillet and allow potato cake to slide out of skillet onto serving plate. Cut into 4 pie-shaped pieces and serve warm.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Container: 10 inch non-stick skillet, flat baking sheet coated with oil
Serving Size: 1 slice
|-||1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and shredded (4 large potatoes = 4 cups shredded)|
|-|| large egg|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|-||1 dash black pepper, ground|
|-||3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|