- Prepare 2 regular loaf pans by greasing and flouring the bottom and sides.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the brown sugar, white sugar, oil, and egg. Beat these ingredients until they are evenly mixed.
- Add the buttermilk, soda, salt, cinnamon, vanilla, and flour. Beat with hand mixer until well combined.
- Add the rhubarb and stir into the bread batter until evenly distributed.
- Pour half the batter into each prepared loaf pan.
- Using a fork, mix the brown sugar with the margarine, do not melt the margarine.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar and margarine mixture on top of each loaf, keeping it away from the edges of the pan. If it is close to the pan it has a tendency to burn when baking.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 to 50 minutes. Check doneness by poking a toothpick in the center of the loaf. It is done if it comes out clean.
- When done remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pans.
|Prep Time: 1 hour|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: Loaf pans
Serving Size: 1 slice
|-||1 cup brown sugar|
|-||1/2 cup white sugar|
|-||2/3 cup vegetable oil|
|-||1 cup buttermilk (or 1 tbsp. lemon juice plus enough milk to make 1 cup)|
|-||1 teaspoon baking soda|
|-||1 teaspoon salt|
|-||1 teaspoon cinnamon|
|-||1 teaspoon vanilla|
|-||2 1/2 cups flour|
|-||1 1/2 cups diced rhubarb|
|-||1/2 cup brown sugar|
|-||1 tablespoon margarine|