- Prepare pan: oil an 8 inch springform or other baking pan. Cut a circle of parchment paper (use aluminum foil if you don't have parchment) to fit the bottom of the pan. Press into place, then oil the parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 325° F..
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, ground ginger, soda and salt) and set aside.
- Soak raisins or apricots in 2 tablespoons liquid (sherry, wine, orange juice or milk)
- Cream butter and sugar (mix together until somewhat fluffy - an elecrtic mixer makes this much quicker). Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add honey, molasses, fresh ginger (See TIP) and crystallized ginger. Mix well.
- By hand, stir in flour mixture just until well blended.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake until a skewer or cake tester inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 45 minutes.
- Cool on a rack for 10 - 15 minutes before removing from pan. Carefully remove paper or foil from the bottom.
- TIP: To keep fresh ginger on hand, peel it and freeze in a small glass container. To use, grate or chop as needed, without thawing.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: 8 inch round spring-form pan or baking dish
|-||2 cups flour: all-purpose white, whole wheat, or a blend|
|-||1 teaspoon baking soda|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|-||2 teaspoons ground ginger|
|-||1/4 cup golden raisins or dried apricots, chopped|
|-||2 tablespoons sherry, wine, orange juice or milk|
|-||1/2 cup butter|
|-||2/3 cup sugar|
|-||2 eggs |
|-||1 cup molasses|
|-||1/2 cup honey|
|-||2 tablespoons grated or finely chopped fresh ginger|
|-||1/4 cup crystallized ginger |