|BLUE CHEESE SPREAD:
- Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add sour cream, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.
- Stir until blended.
- Stir in blue cheese and walnuts.
- Cover and chill for two hours.
- Left over spread is great on steak or add a splash of milk to transform it into a wonderful salad dressing.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions.
- Cook, stirring often, 30 minutes or until carmelized.
- Stir in vinegar and pepper.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly.
- Split rolls in half.
- Spread tops and bottoms of rolls with the blue cheese spread.
- Place roast beef on bottoms of rolls.
- Top beef with carmelized onions.
- Cover with tops.
Note: the blue cheese spread and carmelized onions may be made one day ahead. Assemble the sandwiches no more than 2 hours before serving.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
|-|| BLUE CHEESE SPREAD:|
|-||1 1/2 packages (8 oz.) cream cheese - softened|
|-||8 ounces sour cream|
|-||2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce |
|-||1 teaspoon hot sauce|
|-||6 ounces blue cheese - crumbled, can use Maytag, Stilton or Gorgonzola|
|-||1/2 cup walnut halves - toasted and chopped|
|-|| CARMELIZED ONIONS:|
|-||3 tablespoons olive oil|
|-||3 large, sweet onions - thinly sliced|
|-||1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar|
|-||1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper - or to taste|
|-||36 cocktail sandwich buns|
|-||1 1/2 pounds deli sliced roast beef|