- Chop garlic and crush it to a pulp with 1 teaspoon of salt, using the flat edge of a heavy knife blade or pestle and mortar.
- Mix the garlic and mustard to a paste in a medium bowl.
- Beat in the vinegar and then pour a steady stream of olive oil, whisking it in to make a thick and creamy dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in basil or parsley into the dressing.
- Add in sliced red onion.
- Let stand for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Stir in shrimp and refrigerate for 1 hour or until ready to serve.
- Halve the artichokes and shred the iceberg lettuce.
- Make a bed of both lettuces mixed together in one big bowl or on individual salad plates.
- Spread artichokes over lettuce.
- Immediately before serving, pour shrimp and marinade on top of the salad.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes|
Container: medium mixing bowl, large salad bowl
|-||1 clove garlic|
|-||2 teaspoons Dijon mustard |
|-||4 tablespoons red wine vinegar|
|-||2/3 cup olive oil|
|-||3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves - shredded or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley - chopped fine|
|-||1 red onion - thinly sliced|
|-||16 ounces cooked shrimp - peeled|
|-||14 ounces (1 can) arichoke hearts - drained|
|-||1/2 head of iceberg lettuce|
|-||1 container of mixed greens|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|