- Sift flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Add nuts.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat until smooth.
- Beat in flour mixture.
- Refrigerate dough until stiff, approximately 2 hours.
- Divide dough in half, roll out on an 8x8 piece of waxed paper.
- Spread half of the filling over dough, wrap in waxed paper. Repeat with the second half of dough and filling.
- Refrigerate over night.
- Cut dough into 1/8 inch slices and place on a lightly greased cooke sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine the dates and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until excess liquid has evaporated.
- Cool slightly, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
|-|| FRUIT FILLING:|
|-||1 1/2 cups dates - pitted and chopped|
|-||1 cup water|
|-||2 cups flour|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|-||1/4 tablespoon baking soda|
|-||1/2 cup nuts of choice - finely chopped|
|-||1/2 cup butter - softened|
|-||3/4 cup brown sugar|
|-||1 teaspoon vanilla|