- If using fresh chestnuts, score them with an X on the bottom and roast in a 400° oven until tender for approximately 20-25 minutes. Peel when cool.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat until butter has melted.
- Add Brussels sprouts.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently until golden brown. (Approximately 15 minutes.)
- Add chestnuts, cook, stirring occasionally until the brussels are tender and browned in places. (Approximately 20-25 minutes)
- Raise heat to medium high.
- Add vinegar, stock and sugar.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has been reduced to a syrup, 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve warm.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Container: large skillet
|-||2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|-||1 tablespoon olive oil|
|-||2 pounds Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-||3/4 pound shelled chestnuts - fresh, jarred or frozen|
|-||1/2 cup cider vinegar|
|-||1/4 cup homemade chicken stock or canned chicken stock|
|-||1/4 cup sugar|