- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in dutch oven or skillet over medium heat.
- When hot, add pancetta and bacon, stir frequently until the pancetta is crisp and bacon is cooked. The oil will become golden brown. (Approximately 6-8 minutes)
- Add chopped cabbage and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Cook cabbage, stirring occasionally, until limp and tender. (Approximately 3 minutes)
- Transfer cabbage, pancetta and bacon to a bowl and set aside.
- Return pot to heat and add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil.
- When hot, add onions, carrots and salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and the vegetables are browned and start to stick to the bottom. (Approximately 8-10 minutes)
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, coriander and thyme.
- Cook, stirring until garlic is fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stir and cook 2-3 more minutes.
- Return cabbage and bacon back to the pan and add chicken broth.
- Stir well, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add beans, bring back to a simmer and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining teaspoon of rosemary.
- Taste soup and add at least one teaspoon of lemon juice to brighten it.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with homemade croutons and grated parmesean cheese.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: dutch oven or large, deep skillet
|-||5 tablespoons olive oil|
|-||8 slices turkey bacon - cut into small pieces - or regular bacon|
|-||3/4 cup pancetta - cut into small chunks|
|-||4 cups green cabbage - diced - 1/2 head|
|-||2 cups onion - diced|
|-||1 1/2 cups carrots - diced|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-||2 tablespoons garlic - minced|
|-||1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary - minced|
|-||1 teaspoon coriander|
|-||1 teaspoon fresh thyme - stripped off of the stem|
|-||28 ounces (1 can) diced tomatoes - drained|
|-||6 cups chicken broth - canned or homemade|
|-||2 (15.5 oz cans) white beans - rinsed and drained|
|-||1 teaspoon lemon juice|
|-||1 cup toasted bread cubes or croutons divided evenly - more if desired|
|-||1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese, divided evenly, for garnish - more if desired|