- By hand, not a mixer, cream the butter and gradually add the sugars.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add the eggs to the sugar mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Add one cup of the flour mixture to the egg and sugar mixture, alternating it with 1/4 cup of the oil, stirring between each addition until all of the flour and oil is incorporated.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Roll dough in small balls approximately 1 inch in diameter and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten each with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 350° for approximately eight minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire racks.
- Can be frosted with your favorite icing or sprinkled with colored sugars for decoration.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 10 minutes
|-||1 cup butter|
|-||1 cup powdered sugar|
|-||1 cup sugar|
|-||5 cups flour|
|-||1 teaspoon cream of tartar|
|-||1 teaspoon soda|
|-||1/4 teaspoon salt|
|-||1 cup salad oil|
|-||2 teaspoons vanilla extract|