- Spray one large or 2 medium baking sheets with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, margarine or butter.
- Beat until well blended.
- Add orange peel and eggs, beat well.
- Add flour and baking powder; mix well.
- Stir in cranberries and almonds.
- Shape dough into 3 balls.
- May need to flour hands and work surface for better handling.
- Make each ball into a roll approximately 7 inches long.
- Place on cookie sheets, a few inches apart.
- Flatten each to form a 3/4 inch thick rectangle, approximately 3 inches wide and 7 inches long.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until rectangles are light golden brown and centers are firm to the touch.
- When done, transfer to wire racks to cool for 5 minutes.
- When cooled, set each on a cutting board and with a serrated knife, cut each rectangle into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place back on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until top surface is slightly dry.
- Turn cookies over and bake another 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheets, cool completely on wire racks.
- Serve with orange glaze or orange butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the glaze ingredients.
- Add enough milk to reach desired consistency.
- Drizzle over cookies.
- Allow to sit until glaze is set.
- Store tightly covered.
- Beat butter with hand mixer or food processor.
- Add marmalade, sugar and zest.
- Beat until blended.
- Put in serving bowl and serve along side of biscotti.
- Can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to two days.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: mixing bowl, baking sheet
|-||1/2 cup sugar|
|-||1/2 cup brown sugar|
|-||1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened|
|-||2 teaspoons grated orange peel|
|-||3 cups all purpose flour|
|-||3 teaspoons baking powder|
|-||3/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped|
|-||3/4 cup chopped almonds|
|-|| ORANGE GLAZE:|
|-||1 cup powdered sugar|
|-||1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel|
|-||4 teaspoons milk|
|-|| ORANGE BUTTER:|
|-||1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened|
|-||2 tablespoons orange marmalade|
|-||1 tablespoon powdered sugar|
|-|| grated zest of 1/2 an orange|