- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Trim mushroom stems by cutting off the very end and discarding.
- Remove mushroom stems from the caps and finely chop them along with five of the largest mushroom caps.
- Heat a medium sauté pan with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add pancetta and stir until it starts to render some of the fat. (3-5 minutes)
- Add shallots, sage and chile flakes.
- Cook until shallots are tender. (5 minutes)
- Reduce heat if shallots start to brown.
- Stir in chopped mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is tender. (5-10 minutes)
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
- When it has melted, transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Butter a casserole dish large enough to hold the mushrooms in one layer.
- Arrange mushrooms in the dish and season their cavities with salt.
- Stuff cavities with a rounded spoonful of filling. Enough to fill and form a small mound on top of the mushroom. (If you have extra stuffing, use extra mushrooms and fill.)
- Drizzle the mushrooms with olive oil and bake until mushrooms are tender and breadcrumbs are golden brown. (25-30 minutes)
- Serve warm.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes|
Cook Time: 25 minutes
|-||1 1/2 pounds favorite mushrooms - approximately 1 1/2 inches wide|
|-||3 tablespoons unsalted butter, more for casserole dish|
|-||1/2 cup pancetta, finely diced|
|-||2 medium shallots, finely diced|
|-||2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped|
|-||1 pinch red chile flakes|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-||2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs|
|-||1/2 cup fresh grated asiago or parmesan cheese, more for garnish|
|-||3 tablespoons olive oil for drizzling|