PECAN TOFFEE CRUMBLE:
- Preheat oven to 375° with rack on the bottom 1/3 of the oven.
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in a food processor.
- Add butter, pulse until coarse meal forms.
- Gradually add water starting with 6 tablespoons until moist clumps form.
- Add more water as needed.
- Gather dough into ball, divide in half.
- Flatten into 2 disks and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Spray pie plate with non stick cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on floured surface to 13 inch round.
- Transfer to the pie dish.
- Fold edges under and crimp, forming a nice border.
- Line crust with foil and fill with dried beans or prick all over with a fork to prevent puffing.
- Bake for 15 minutes if using foil, then remove foil and beans and bake for 5-7 minutes more until it turns light golden brown.
- Press or prick crust down if it bubbles up.
- If just pricking with a fork before baking, bake 15-20 minutes, until light golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes either way.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350° and place rack in the center of the oven.
- Melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in skillet.
- Add one cup pecans, 2 tablespoons molasses and 2 teaspoons of water.
- Stir until molasses thickens and starts to coat the nuts, approximately 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a sheet of foil to cool.
- Chop 1/2 cup of these nuts and 1/2 of a toffee bar together in a small bowl and sprinkle over the baked crust.
- Use the rest of the nuts and the other 1/2 of the chopped toffee bar as garnish on top of the cooled pie.
- Mix pumpkin and next 6 ingredients in mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time until mixed through.
- Gradually add milk and sour cream or whipping cream.
- Pour filling into prepared pie crust over the nuts and toffee.
- Bake until edges are puffed and center is set, approximately 1 hour if using whipping cream, 1 1/2 hours if using milk and sour cream.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Garnish with remaining toffee topping and pecans if desired.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
Container: 9 inch deep dish pie plate
|-|| PIE CRUST:|
|-||2 1/2 cups all purpose flour|
|-||1 tablespoon sugar|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|-||1 cup (2 sticks) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into cubes|
|-||8 tablespoons ice water|
|-|| PECAN TOFFEE CRUMBLE:|
|-||2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|-||1 cup pecans|
|-||2 tablespoons molasses|
|-||2 tablespoons water|
|-||1 toffee candy bar|
|-||1 can (15 oz.) pure pumpkin|
|-||3/4 cup brown sugar, packed|
|-||3/4 teaspoon cinnamon|
|-||3/4 teaspoon ground ginger|
|-||1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1/4 teaspoon of fresh grated nutmeg|
|-||1/4 teaspoon salt|
|-||1 pinch ground cloves|
|-||3 large eggs|
|-||1 cup milk plus 1/4 cup sour cream or 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream|