- Place cranberries in a small bowl with 1 cup of orange juice. Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium skillet.
- Add nuts and toast lightly for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a paper towel to cool.
- When cool, crumble or chop into small pieces.
- Heat oven to 450°.
- In a bowl, toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and orange juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread potatoes out on a baking sheet and roast, stirring occasionally, until tender (10-15 minutes).
- Set aside, meanwhile, bring 4-6 quarts of water with 1/4 cup of salt added to a boil.
- Place the beans into the boiling water and cook until crisp tender (4-5 minutes). When finished, plunge into an ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain.
- This recipe can be made ahead up to this point.
- When ready to serve, strain cranberries reserving the orange juice.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a 12 inch skillet.
- Add chopped sage and allow to cook for 30 seconds, stirring to blend the flavors.
- Add green beans and spread them out in the pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes without stirring.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes, toasted nuts and strained cranberries.
- Toss altogether and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the reserved orange juice, stir well and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated (1-2 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 25 minutes
|-||1 cup dried cranberries|
|-||1 1/4 cups orange juice|
|-||1/3 cup walnut pieces|
|-||1/3 cup pecan pieces|
|-||3/4 pound sweet potatoes, 2 medium potatoes - peeled and cut into 1/4 cubes|
|-||1/4 cup olive oil|
|-||1/4 cup orange juice|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt plus 1/4 cup for boiling water|
|-|| fresh cracked pepper to taste|
|-||1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed - may use frozen|
|-||6 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|-||2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage|