- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Scrub sweet potatoes and pierce a couple of times with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Poke with a fork to check for tenderness.
- When done baking, set aside to cool slightly.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, gently scoop out the pulp from each potato half keeping the shell in tact.
- Place the pulp in a medium bowl.
- Set shells aside on a baking sheet.
- Using a potato masher or fork, mash the potato pulp until smooth. (Use a hand mixer if you want creamy smooth.)
- Stir in 1/2 can of cranberry relish, zest of 1/2 an orange, cranberries, butter and salt.
- Spoon potato mixture into each potato shell.
- Place filled shells on a 15x10 baking pan.
- Sprinkle with toasted walnuts - see recipe below.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Melt 1 tablespoons of butter in a medium pan.
- Add walnuts and brown sugar, stir together.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, on medium heat.
- Spread out onto a paper towel to cool.
- Break apart any chunks.
*Can make the potatoes ahead, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Reheat in a 350° oven for 30-35 minutes to heat through.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
|-|| SWEET POTATOES:|
|-||5 medium sized sweet potatoes|
|-||1/2 can cranberry relish or 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins, chopped|
|-||2 tablespoons butter, softened|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|-|| zest of 1/2 an orange|
|-||1/2 cup walnut pieces|
|-||1 tablespoon butter|
|-||1 tablespoon brown sugar|