- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of the broth, wine, cranberry juice and sugar to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until reduced to 2 cups, 30-45 minutes.
- The sauce can be made up to a day ahead, covered and chilled.
- Bring 4 remaining cumbs of broth, rice and 3 tablespoons of butter (optional) to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until tender and rice starts to split. Approximately 45 minutes.
- Drain, reserve broth, if any, separate from the rice.
- The rice can be made up to a day ahead, covered and refrigerated.
Preheat oven to 350Â°.
- Cut squash in half, seed and place cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Roast until tender, approximately 45 minutes.
Boil potatoes until fork tender, 15-25 minutes.
Drain and mash, season with salt and pepper.
Bring 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of butter, milk and sage just to a simmer, stirring to melt the butter.
Add milk mixture and cheese to potatoes, mash to blend.
Season again with salt and pepper.
*This may seem like too much liquid at first but it gets absorbed nicely.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushroom and sautÃ© until soft, stirring.
- Stir mushrooms into potatoes.
- Arrange squash, cut side up, on the baking sheet.
- Divide the potato mixutre among the squash halves - Approximately 1 cup per squash.
- Preheat oven to 400Â°.
- Place stuffed squash in oven and bake until heated through, approximately 15 minutes.
- Bring wine sauce to a simmer.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of butter, keep warm.
- Combine rice and reserved broth, bring to a boil, keep warm.
- Divide arugula or spinach among 6 plates, arranging them in the middle of the plates.
- Divide the rice among plates, placing on top of the lettuce or spinach.
- Place a half a squash on top of rice - nestle it in.
- Ladle wine sauce around the and over the squash.
- Springle with chopped fresh parsley and extra shredded cheese if desired.
- Serve warm.
|Prep Time: 1 hour|
Cook Time: 2 hours
|-||6 cups chicken broth|
|-||1/2 bottle of dry red wine (375-ml)|
|-||1/2 bottle of cranberry juice (375-ml)|
|-||2 tablespoons sugar|
|-||9 tablespoons butter|
|-||1 cup wild rice - uncooked|
|-||3 large acorn squash - halved and seeded|
|-||1/2 cup milk|
|-||2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, diced|
|-||2 tablespoons fresh sage - chopped|
|-||4 ounces (1/2 cup) asiago cheese or parmesan cheese - shredded|
|-||1 pound mushrooms - any variety|
|-||1 ounce arugula or spinach - washed and dried|