- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Remove stem and wash apples thoroughly. Core apples, removing center down to within 1/2 to 1/4 inch of the bottom.
- Peel and remove skin from top quarter of apple.
- Using a knife, score lightly through the skin, moving knife in a circle around outside middle of apple. Scoring will help prevent apples from splitting apart while baking.
- Evenly space apples in baking dish.
- Mix water and lemon juice together. Add vanilla if desired. Pour into and over apples letting excess go into baking dish.
- Divide butter into fourths and place 1/4 in each apple.
- Divide maple syrup into fourths and pour 1/4 in each apple.
- Combine cinnamon and nutmeg, mixing together thoroughly. Sprinkle into apples, allowing excess to fall into baking dish.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 45 minutes or until apples are soft.
- As apples bake, baste 2 to 3 times with pan juices.
- Serve warm and garnish if desired with whipped topping.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: 8 inch square baking dish
Serving Size: 1
|-||4 large baking apples|
|-||1 tablespoon lemon juice|
|-||1 cup water|
|-||1 teaspoon vanilla|
|-||1 tablespoon butter, divided|
|-||2 tablespoons maple syrup, divided|
|-||1 teaspoon cinnamon|
|-||1/4 teaspoon nutmeg|