- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- Cut or tear bread into 1 inch cubes and spread them out on a baking sheet.
- Toast in the oven until they begin to crisp and brown. (Approximately 20 minutes)
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and a few pinches of salt.
- Saute, stirring ocassionally until golden brown. (Approximately 10 minutes).
- Add celery, onion, 2 tablespoons of butter and thyme.
- Once the butter has melted, cook and stir, until the vegetables are tender. (Approximately 5 minutes).
- Add sage and remaining 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Add chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture over bread cubes in mixing bowl and toss to combine until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Pour mixture into greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake until heated through and top is golden brown. (Approximately 40 minutes)
- Cool slightly before serving.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: 2 quart baking dish
|-||1 pound sourdough bread - cubed|
|-||8 tablespoons butter|
|-||8 ounces baby portebello mushrooms|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-||4 celery stalks with leaves, sliced|
|-||1 medium onion - chopped|
|-||10 sprigs fresh thyme - leaves stripped from stems|
|-||10 fresh sage leaves|
|-||3 1/2 cups chicken broth|
|-||3 tablespoons fresh parsley - chopped|