- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring ocassionally until just soft and beginning to brown. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder and tomato paste, stirring continuously 15-30 seconds.
- Don't let chili powder scorch.
- Pour in turkey broth and scrape bottom of pan with spoon to loosen cooked bits.
- Add cilantro sprigs and bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, until broth has reduced by approximately 1/3 (20-30 minutes).
- Take out cilantro sprigs and season to taste with salt.
- While soup simmers, fry tortilla strips.
- Lay out 2 layers of paper towels for strips to rest on after cooking.
- Pour 1 inch of oil in fry pan.
- Heat oil until hot, test by putting 1 tortilla strip into the grease. The grease is ready when the oil sizzles or when a candy thermometer reaches 350 degrees F.
- Add 8-10 strips and scrunch if you want to give them a wavy shape.
- Fry until the strips are crisp and lightly browned (1-2 minutes).
- Transfer to paper towels and sprinkle with salt while they're hot.
- Repeat with remaining strips.
- Add to the soup the turkey, tomatoes, and beans; heat through.
- Put in bowls, top with tortilla strips.
- Garnish with avocado, cheese, cilantro and dollops of sour cream. Add lime slices if desired.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: 3 quart saucepan, medium fry pan
|-||1 tablespoon vegetable oil plus 1 1/2 cups for frying|
|-||1/2 cup yellow onion - diced|
|-||1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder|
|-||1 tablespoon tomato paste|
|-||1 quart (4 cups) homemade turkey or chicken broth or canned chicken broth|
|-||6 sprigs cilantro|
|-|| kosher salt to taste|
|-||3 10 inch tortillas - any flavor|
|-||1 cup turkey, dark or white meat - diced|
|-||3/4 cup tomatoes - diced|
|-||1/2 cup frozen corn|
|-||1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained|