- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a medium flame.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots, salt and pepper.
- Sauté until all are tender.
- Add the tomatoes and bay leaves.
- Simmer uncovered over low heat for approximately one hour or until the sauce thickens.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
|-||1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|-||2 small onions, finely chopped|
|-||2 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|-||2 stalks celery, finely chopped|
|-||2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped|
|-||1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more if desired|
|-||1/2 teaspoon pepper, more if desired|
|-||2 (28 oz.) cans crushed tomatoes|
|-||1 (14.5 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic|
|-||2 bay leaves|