- Preheat oven to 350Â°.
- In a medium sized skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon from the drippings with a slotted spoon. Set drippings aside.
- Place bacon on a towel lined plate to drain.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a seperate bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until foamy.
- Whisk in the milk.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Fold in the bacon bits, chile and chives.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings in the bottom of a 9 inch round cake pan with 2 inch sides. Make sure the drippings cover the bottom of the pan.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack, cut into wedges and serve.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: skillet, 9 inch round cake pan
|-||6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|-||2 cups cornmeal, white or yellow|
|-||1 cup all purpose flour|
|-||2 tablespoons sugar|
|-||2 teaspoons baking powder|
|-||2 teaspoons baking soda|
|-||2 cups milk|
|-||1 canned chipotle chile, minced|
|-||2 tablespoons fresh chives or green onion, finely chopped|