- Melt butter in large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, season with salt and pepper, cook gently, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, stir, pour in the broth and add bay leaves.
- Bring to simmer, partially cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer gently until the potatoes are tender. Approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Pureé soup in a blender in batches. Fill blender 2/3 full and vent the lid to let the steam escape. If you want a chunkier soup, only pureé half of the soup.
- Return soup to the pot.
- Add milk and cream and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While potatoes are cooking, preheat oven to 350°.
- Spread bread cubes and bacon on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with oil and black pepper.
- Bake, stirring a few times, until bacon is crisp and bread cubes are golden brown. Approximately 20 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet on wire rack.
- Serve on top of potato soup.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
|-|| POTATO SOUP:|
|-||4 cups homemade or canned chicken broth|
|-||2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|-||2 medum onions, chopped - 2 cups|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-||3 large cloves garlic, sliced|
|-||2 pounds russett potatoes, peeled, cut into 3/4 inch chunks|
|-||2 bay leaves|
|-||1 cup whole milk|
|-||1/2 cup light or heavy cream|
|-|| BACON CROUTONS:|
|-||3 cups sour dough bread, cut into 1/2 inch chunks|
|-||4 slices bacon, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces|
|-||1 tablespoon olive oil|
|-|| ground black pepper|