- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Prepare a 9 inch pie crust and bake approximately 12-15 minutes. The crust needs to be just short of done.
- Place apples in a large skillet and sprinkle with lemon juice. Set aside.
- Combine lemon zest, nutmeg, cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over apples.
- Bring apples to a boil over medium heat. Allow to bubble gently.
- Cook uncovered 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, the liquid should be reduced to half.
- Reduce heat to low.
- When apples stop bubbling, stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Continue to cook and stir for approximately 2 minutes. The juices should have started to thicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and walnuts.
- Add butter and toss with a fork until crumbly.
- Spoon apple filling into the pie crust, mounding them in the center.
- Crumble the walnut topping over the apples, do not pack the apples down.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or just until the filling bubbles over and the topping is crisp.
- Cool several hours before cutting.
- Slice and top with whipped cream if desired.
|Prep Time: 1 hour|
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
Container: 9 inch pie plate
|-||1 unbaked pre-made 9 inch pie crust or your favorite pie crust recipe|
|-|| APPLE FILLING:|
|-||2 1/2 pounds McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced|
|-||2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|-||1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest|
|-||1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|-||1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon|
|-||1 cup sugar|
|-||3 tablespoons cornstarch whisked with 1/4 cup of cold water|
|-||3/4 cup all-purpose flour|
|-||3/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed|
|-||1/2 cup walnuts, chopped|
|-||1/2 cup pecans, chopped|
|-||1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature (1 stick)|