- Heat oven to 350Â°.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper into a 9x14 rectangle and line a 9x9 baking pan with it, allowing the ends to extend over the edge.
- Butter the parchment paper and the sides of the pan that are exposed.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of flour in a small bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 1/4 cups of flour and salt in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the cream cheese and almond extract, beat until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add 1/4 cup each of sugar and brown sugar and beat on medium speed until blended.
- Add the flour/salt mixture and 1/3 cup of almonds.
- Grate the zest one lemon. Reserve 2 teaspoons of the zest, add the rest to the mixture and beat on low just until the four is absorbed and the mixture starts to clump.
- Set aside 2/3 cup of dough in another bowl and press the remaining dough into the bottom of the 9x9 lined pan.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork.
- Bake until the crust is golden, especially around the edges, approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven but leave the oven on.
- While the crust bakes, add 2 tablespoons of the reserved flour and 2 tablespoons each of sugar and brown sugar to the reserved dough.
- Mix with fingertips until combined and somewhat clumpy.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer.
- Add egg, beat until combined, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Beat in 2 teaspoons lemon zest, lemon juice and salt.
- Spread apple slices over the bottom crust and pour the cream cheese mixture on top.
- Spread gently to cover apples.
- Crumble the remaining dough on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Bake until topping and almonds are lightly browned, approximately 40 minutes.
- Allow the bars to cool in the pan on a wire rack until just warm.
- Remove from pan using the extra parchment as handles and set on the wire rack to finish cooling.
- Transfer, still on parchment, to a cutting board.
- Slide a long metal spatula between the bars and parchment to separate them.
- Slide the parchment from the bottom of the dessert.
- Cut into 16 equal sized squares and serve.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
Container: 9x9 square baking pan
|-||1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons of flour|
|-||1/4 teaspoon salt|
|-||1/4 cup unsalted butter|
|-||1/4 cup cream cheese, softened|
|-||1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract|
|-||1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar|
|-||1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar|
|-|| zest from one lemon|
|-||3/4 cup slivered almond, coarsly chopped|
|-||1/2 cup cream cheese, softened|
|-||1/2 cup sugar|
|-||1 large egg|
|-||2 teaspoons lemon zest|
|-||1 tablespoon lemon juice|
|-|| pinch of salt|
|-||1 pound or 2-3 medium apples - braeburn, gala or rome, peeled, cored and sliced thinly|