*Cooks Note: If reheating to serve later, you may need to add some water incase it has dried out slightly.
- Heat broth over medium heat, keep warm.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan.
- Add sage and bacon.
- Saute for 5 minutes stirring occasionally - it will become fragrant.
- Transfer to a paper towel.
- Add shallots or onion to the pan, stirring until softened, approximately 3-5 minutes. May need to add a small amount of oil to the pan.
- Add squash and rice and cook, stirring for one minute.
- Ladle enough broth into squash and rice mixture to just cover the rice.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the broth is mostly absorbed.
- Add more broth and continue steps until the broth is gone and the rice is just tender, approximatly 25 minutes.
- As the rice cooks it may bubble gently. If you use all the broth before the rice is cooked, add a little more at a time until the rice is done and the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in bacon, sage and cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ganish with sage leaves - optional.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes|
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Container: Medium saucepan
|-||4 1/2 cups homemade or canned chicken broth, may need a small amount more|
|-||2 tablespoons olive oil|
|-||1 tablespoon crushed sage leaves, adjust to taste|
|-||4 slices turkey bacon, cut into thirds - regular bacon can be used as well|
|-||2 medium shallots, minced or 1 small onion, chopped (approximately 1/4 cup)|
|-||2 cups diced butternut squash|
|-||1 1/2 cups arborio rice or risotto rice|
|-||1/2 cup fresh grated parmigiano reggiano cheese - more if desired|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|