Tip: Using an automated apple peeler will cut the preparation time in half.
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F.
- Spray baking pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, oatmeal, and spices.
- Cut-in* butter until mixture becomes crumbly.
*Cut-In: To combine dry ingredients with shortening, butter or margarine by "cutting" the dry ingredients in with a pastry blender or two knives. As the dry ingredients are cut into the fat ingredients they begin to form clumps.
- Press 1/2 of crumb mixture into bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Layer 1/2 of apples and 1/2 of quartered caramels over crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of crumb mixture.
- Repeat layer of 1/2 of apples and 1/2 of quartered caramels over crumb mixture.
- Press remaining crumb mixture over top.
- Drizzle with 1/2 cup of orange juice and bake uncovered for 35 minutes.
- Remove and drizzle with remaining 1/2 cup of orange juice.
- Continue baking 25 minutes or until apples are soft and mixture is bubbly.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
Serving Size: 1 piece
|-||1 cup orange juice|
|-||10 cups apples, peeled, cored, and sliced|
|-||2 cups all-purpose flour|
|-||1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed|
|-||3 cups oatmeal, regular (old fashioned)|
|-||1 cup unsalted butter|
|-||1 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|-||1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (or freshly ground nutmeg to taste)|
|-||1 package (14 oz.) caramels, quartered|