Note: Use baking apples that do not become mushy when cooked. Gala, Granny Smith, Braeburn, and Honeycrisp are all good baking apples to use for this crisp.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Coat baking dish with no stick cooking spray.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss mixture with apples to cover.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, sugars, oatmeal and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture becomes crumbly.
- In the prepared pan, layer the sliced apples and sprinkle the topping evenly over apples.
- Sprinkle dried cranberries and quartered caramel pieces over topping.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until top is golden brown and apples appear tender. Garnish with whipped topping or ice cream, if desired.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
|-||8 to 10 large baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (enough to fill baking pan 3/4 full)|
|-||1 tablespoon lemon juice|
|-||1 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|-||1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (or a few grinds of fresh nutmeg)|
|-||1/2 cup all-purpose flour|
|-||3/4 cup oatmeal (uncooked)|
|-||1/2 cup brown sugar, packed|
|-||1 teaspoon cinnamon|
|-||1/2 cup unsalted butter (or margarine), cut into small pieces|
|-||3/4 cup cranberries, dried|
|-||16 caramels, unwrapped and cut into quarters|