- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add fennel, onion, shallots and salt.
- Cook and stir until onion is translucent, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes, saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Add tomatoes with their juices, the variety of stock selected, and a bay leaf.*
- Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low, simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add clams, mussles, shrimp and fish.
- Simmer gently just until the fish and shrimp are cooked, 5-8 minutes.
- Season soup to taste with salt and or red pepper flakes.
*If desired, one cup of white wine can be added to this recipe to replace one cup of stock.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: large soup pot
|-||3 tablespoons olive oil|
|-||1 large fennel bulb or 2 stalks of celery, diced|
|-||1 onion, chopped|
|-||2 shallots, chopped|
|-||2 teaspoons salt|
|-||4 cloves garlic, chopped|
|-||3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more if desired|
|-||1 small can tomato paste|
|-||1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes in juice|
|-||6 1/2 cups fish stock, chicken stock or vegetable stock|
|-||1 cup white wine - optional|
|-||1 bay leaf|
|-||2 cans mussels - drained|
|-||2 cans clams - drained|
|-||1 pound uncooked large shrimp - peeled, deveined|
|-||1 1/2 pounds firm fleshed fish filets cut into 2 inch chunks - halibut, salmon, or cod|