Preheat oven to 375Â°.
- In a large saucepan, cook onion, garlic, jalapeÃ±os or chipoltes in butter, stirring until onion is softened.
- Stir in flour and cook mixture while stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add milk in a stream, whisking. It will thicken somewhat as you are whisking.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Whisk in tomatoes.
- Simmer 2-5 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil macaroni in salted water according to package directions.
- Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta with the tomato mixture.
- Stir in cheeses.
- Tansfer to a 13x9 inch buttered baking dish or 3 quart gratin dish.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese and bread crumbs on top.
- Bake macaroni and cheese for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Container: 13x9 baking dish
|-||1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion|
|-||2 cloves garlic, chopped|
|-||1 1/2 tablespoons minced pickled jalapeÃ±o or 1-2 tablespoons chipolte in adobo sauce|
|-||1/2 stick unsalted butter|
|-||1/4 cup all purpose flour|
|-||5 cups milk|
|-||28 ounces 1 can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped|
|-||1 pound elbow macaroni|
|-||2 cups grated monterey jack cheese|
|-||2 cups grated extra sharp cheddar cheese|
|-||1/4 cup bread crumbs|
|-||1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese|