- Prepare cornbread according to directions on package or on any cornbread recipe for an 8 inch square of cornbread. Bake, cool and crumble, using approximately 4 1/2 cups for the recipe.
- In a small bowl, mix together dry salad dressing mix, mayonnaise and sour cream. Set aside.
- Chop and cut tomatoes into medium-sized chunks.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, fresh cooked canned or frozen corn, onion, green pepper, red pepper, and tomatoes.
- Crumble cornbread into small bits. In serving dish, or serving container, begin by layer 1/2 of cornbread over bottom of dish. Then layer 1/2 of vegetables mixture, 1/2 of the shredded cheese, and 1/2 of bacon. Spread 1/2 of dressing evenly over ingredients.
- Repeat layering with the second half of all ingredients, finishing with dressing and spreading evenly over the dish. Garnish top with shredded cheese and bits of bacon.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. When the flavors are allowed to blend overnight, the salad becomes more moist and flavorful.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: 9 x 13 serving dish or 3 quart container
Serving Size: 1 piece
|-||4 1/2 cups cornbread mix, use an 8.5 oz package|
|-||1 package (.4 oz) envelope of dry ranch style salad dressing|
|-||1 cup sour cream, light or regular|
|-||1 cup mayonnaise, light or regular|
|-||16 ounces black beans or pinto beans, drained|
|-||3/4 cup sweet onion, chopped fine|
|-||1 cup sweet green bell pepper, chopped|
|-||1 cup sweet red bell pepper, chopped|
|-|| large red ripe tomatoes, cut into pieces|
|-||2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed|
|-|| slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled|
|-||2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded|