- Whisk together masa harina, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in corn and cheese.
- Add 1/4 cup water at a time, stirring after each addition until mixture holds together. (Usually takes approximately 1 cup total.)
- Heat 1/4 c oil in fry pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Meanwhile, shape 1/3 cup of mixture with your hands to form a patty that is approximately 1/3 inch think.
- Repeat with remaining mixture, making 8 patties.
- Working in batches of 4, fry patties, turning once, until golden brown. This takes approximately 2-4 minutes per side.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- If pan becomes dry, add more oil as you go.
- Cover patties with foil to keep them warm until ready to serve.
|Prep Time: 5 minutes|
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Container: Large bowl, fry pan
|-||1 1/2 cups masa harina|
|-||1/2 cup all purpose flour|
|-||1 teaspoon baking powder|
|-||1/2 teaspoon coarse salt|
|-||1/2 cup grated cotija cheese (can substitute fresh grated parmesan cheese)|
|-||2 cups coarsely chopped fresh or frozen corn kernels. Approximately 2 large ears of corn.|
|-||1 cup warm water - use only as much as you need|
|-||5 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying|