- Prepare dressing by combining reserved pineapple juice, butter, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat contents to boiling.
- Using a small bowl, combine cornstarch with water to make a smooth paste. Add the paste to the boiled mixture in the saucepan and cook until all ingredients are thick and smooth.
- Stir in poppyseeds, mayonnaise and yogurt into dressing ingredients, blending well. If desired, 1 cup of mayonnaise can be used instead of 1/2 cup of mayonnaise and 1/2 cup of yogurt.
- Place in refrigerator and chill until contents become firm and set up. This dressing can be made well ahead of salad and kept until ready to add to fruit.
- Prepare salad ingredients by chopping apples into small pieces. Slice grapes in half and then combine apples, pineapple chunks, grapes, and poppy seeds in large glass bowl.
- Add chilled dressing to fruit ingredients and stir in well. Place in refrigerator to chill until ready to serve.
- To keep crispy, add toasted almonds or pecans just prior to serving salad, stirring in well and placing some on top as garnish.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Serving Size: cup
|-||8 cups tart red apples, unpeeled and chopped|
|-||20 ounces can pineapple chunks, drained - reserve juice|
|-||2 cups seedless red grapes|
|-||2 teaspoons poppyseeds|
|-||1 1/2 cups toasted almonds or pecans|
|-||7 ounces reserved pineapple juice (6 to 7 ounces)|
|-||1/4 cup butter|
|-||1/4 cup sugar|
|-||1 tablespoon lemon juice|
|-||2 tablespoons cornstarch|
|-||2 tablespoons water|
|-||1/2 cup light mayonnaise|
|-||1/2 cup plain yogurt (non-fat, low fat or regular fat)|